The Arizona State University Men’s rugby team originated in 1975. We are currently playing in the D1A Pac 12 conference. Our mission is to promote the sport of rugby through representing our university at the highest competitive level and achieve excellence through hard work and commitment to our team culture. Arizona State seeks to build upon its past success on the field, while continuing to provide one of the country’s premier college rugby experiences to its student athletes.
Led by Head Coach, Pieter Hugo.
- Player: Pieter Hugo played College and Men’s Division I rugby back in South Africa prior to moving to the USA in 1998. Pieter played his competitive rugby in the state of Arizona representing the Arizona Select Side from 1999 to 2006. He was also a Pacific Coast Grizzly all-star player.
- Coach: Pieter had various coaching roles from starting and coaching a high school club team in the NW Chicago suburbs, assistant coach for Phoenix Men’s club and Arizona Select Side Men’s coach. In 2016 Pieter was appointed Head Coach of the Arizona High School All Stars 15’s program and helped to create competitive environment for the state’s high school players to advance to the next level with various players being selected for the High School All-America honors. Pieter was appointed ASU Head Coach in the fall of 2017.
- World Rugby Coaching Educator
- USA Rugby Level 300 Coaching Certification
- USA Rugby Level 2 Referee Certification
- Coach Pieter’s contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org
THE RUGBY EXPERIENCE
Currently, ASU Rugby has two sides competing at the collegiate level. The Junior Varsity and Varsity sides compete in the PAC Conference. All players are trained to compete at top levels through three training sessions a week and weightlifting regimented to meet performance standards.
Rugby is a sport of passion and brotherhood, all team members of ASU Rugby are embraced by a rugby brotherhood that goes beyond the on-field battles, creating friendships and bonds that will last a lifetime. We pride ourselves not only as a competitive rugby team, but also as a student organization that provides its members with invaluable life experiences. We strive to provide our players with opportunities to develop as students and young professionals in a variety of ways. To name a few, members of our team are exposed to professional development workshops, leadership opportunities, and involvement in a variety of philanthropic activities.
The best part of playing rugby for ASU is staying part of ASU Rugby for life. Please see the alumni page for more details